Blond Brownies; Carlsbad Water

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon May 29 14:50:46 UTC 2000

BLOND BROWNIES

     I can't find my 1972 BON APPETIT "blondies."  The NYPL has closed
Sat/Sun/Mon this weekend.
     "Blondies" comes from "blond brownies" and is not married to the
"Dagwood sandwich."
     THE PILLSBURY FAMILY COOK BOOK (1963) has "Blond Brownies" on page 217.

CARLSBAD WATER

     Carlsbad (German; Karlovy Vary in Czech) is known for its waters.  OED
has "Carlsbad plum."  Not the same thing.
     "Carlsbad Water" is on page 147 of THE STANDARD MANUAL OF SODA AND OTHER
BEVERAGES (Chicago, 1900) by A. Emil Hiss.  This is an interesting book; I'll
discuss coffee (espresso, cappuccino, granita) later.