metadata.

Kathleen Miller millerk at NYTIMES.COM
Wed May 31 19:23:55 UTC 2000

My quick search shows. Can provide the whol article/s if necessary.

First in Dow Jones 11/06/1987
First in New York Times -  April 10, 1983 - wedding announcement for daughter
of Joseph A. MacDonald, then (maybe still) president of Metadata. The first
time it is used as a word in its own right in the Times is 1999.

At 03:02 AM 6/1/00 -0500, you wrote:
>I think this claim has been decided as frivolous (or it ought to be).  In
>any case, I would like to know if "metadata" existed as a generic word
>before 1986 (when the trademark was issued)...My colleagues are sure that
>it did, but maybe Barry P. or others could confirm it.
>------
>Please be advised that our firm represents The Metadata Company LLC which
>is
>the holder of all rights in the trademark METADATA as applied to computer
>programs and computer program manuals.  Our client's mark is registered
>as
>U.S. Trademark Registration Nos. 1,409,260 and 2,185,504, copies of which
>are enclosed herewith.  Our client's Registration No. 1,409,360 has
>become
>incontestable as provided by 15 U.S.C. § 1065.
>
>It has come to our client's attention that your organization has
>published
>documents on the Internet in which our client's registered trademark,
>METADATA, has been misused, and has invited interested entities to
>download
>a copy of a document with this misused and infringing form of our
>client's
>mark.  We refer specifically to your use at your web [site] of our
>client's
>mark in your description of an "ANZLIC Metadata Entry Tool (MET)".
>
>Our client has no objection to the use of the two separate words, "Meta
>Data" or even the hyphenated term "Meta-data" to describe data about data
>or
>as a title for any software you wish to provide.  However, the single
>unhyphenated term, "METADATA" is a federally registered trademark in the
>United States which belongs exclusively to our client.  We would
>appreciate
>it if you would provide us with your written commitment that you will
>ensure
>that your future web site publications and any other publications do not
>misuse our client's registered trademark, METADATA.

Kathleen E. Miller
Research Assistant to William Safire
The New York Times

"And now here is my secret, a very simple secret: It is only with the heart
that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the
eye."                 Antoine de Saint-Exupery