metadata.

A. Maberry maberry at U.WASHINGTON.EDU
Wed May 31 20:53:30 UTC 2000

Another quick search on RLIN gives 2 more cites:

Kerschberg, Larry.
Information system integration :ba metadata management approach /cby Larry
Kerschberg, Donald A. Marchand, Arun Sen.
Columbia, S.C. :bCollege of Business Administration, Unviersity of South
Carolina,c1983.
28 leaves :bill. ;c28 cm.
Technical report / Institute for Information Management, Technology, and
Policy ;vTR-83-3

AND

Westbrook, J. H.q(Jack Hall),d1924-
Standards and metadata requirements for computerization of selected
mechanical properties of metallic materials /cJack H. Westbrook.
Gaithersburg, MD :bU.S. Dept. of Commerce, National Bureau of Standards
Washington, DC :bFor sale by Supt. of Docs., U.S. G.P.O.,c[1985]
vii, 39 p. :bill. ;c28 cm.
NBS special publication ;v702

also see the Free Online Dictionary of Computing sv. Metadata (as opposed
to meta-data)

Metadata
<product> (Note: One unhyphenated word with initial capital; contrast meta
data) A word coined by Jack E. Myers to represent current and future lines
of products implementing the concepts of his MetaModel, and also to
designate his company The Metadata Company that would develop and market
those products.

A data and publication search performed when Myers coined the term, early
in the summer of 1969, did not discover any use either of the word
"metadata" or "meta data". Myers used the term in a 1973 product brochure
and it is an Incontestable registered U.S. Trademark.

(1997-04-06)