floss and ghetto

Joe Pickett Joe_Pickett at HMCO.COM
Thu Nov 2 14:27:26 UTC 2000

In Geneva Smitherman's "Black Talk," there is an entry for

Flossin   "Pretending, faking something;putting on a front; trying to
appear calm and cool."

There is also an entry for

ghetto fabulous (sometimes ghetto fab) "Describes a person or thing that is
fantastic, the height of something, according to the authentic, natural,
"keepin it real" standards of Blackness that are believe to exist in ghetto
communities."

I hope this helps.

Joe

Luanne von Schneidemesser <lvonschn at FACSTAFF.WISC.EDU>@LISTSERV.UGA.EDU> on
11/01/2000 09:19:26 PM

Please respond to American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>

Sent by:  American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>