Quiet...

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Fri Nov 3 03:55:36 UTC 2000

I have noted this phonetic phenomenon in some Malayalam speakers of
English. They don't articulate very well; hence their failure to realize
the /kw/ sound which does exist in Malayalam phonetics. Thus, QUIET gets
pronounced as (COY.et) or (COY.ut). I am putting the stress on the first
syllable because that way it is closer to actual speech than with the
stress on the second, Malayalam (mal.uh.YAH.lum) or, better,
(mul.uh.YAH.lum) having only long and short sounds, no stresses.

Same for QUICK which is heard as (kik), but QUIT is not heard as (kit).
Just sloppy enunciation, I would think. I am not a Malayalam scholar,
not even a socalled "native speaker"!

I hope all this doesn't sound too unscientific and outlandish!

Tom Paikeday