more vowel weirdness

Donald M. Lance LanceDM at MISSOURI.EDU
Fri Nov 3 04:46:39 UTC 2000

I haven't seen the series, so I can't comment on any connection to Missouri.  I've heard
the "sort of fronted" onset in the articulation of /o/ in a variety of regional
pronunciations, including some people in Missouri.  Often it strikes me as a pseudo-formal
or pseudo-sophisticated pronunciation, but for some people it's the usual pronunciation,
including a friend (female) from West Virginia, born about 1927.   This pronunciation is
rather strong in her speech, and her husband uses it frequently, particularly in a formal
register.  But I haven't had the patience to do any systematic collection of data on this
item.
DMLance