TAP & TAVERN tidbits

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Nov 4 04:50:21 UTC 2000

   I checked TAP & TAVERN for 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, and then 1959, 1960,
1961, and 1962.  Patrick Murphy wrote "The Barman's Corner" column (and I was
anxious to see the rest of it, since BUCKEYE TAVERN holdings end in 1948) for
1948-1951.
   For the second runs of years that I looked at (1959-1962), "The Barman's
Corner" column was written by James E. Hickey (editor of the BUCKEYE TAVERN).

HAPPY HOUR--I didn't see the "Happy Hour" from 1959-1962.  The TAP & TAVERN,
25 April 1960, pg. 20, col. 5, headline is: "'101 Ideas' Made Available For
Tavern Month."  I'll have to check out the NLBA NEWS by the National Licensed
Beverage Association.  "Happy Hour" is probably in their house organ.

20 September 1948, TAP & TAVERN, "The Barman's Corner by Patrick Murphy," pg.
13, col. 4:
   What is called a "chaser" or a "rinse" or a "mix" in many parts of the
country is called a "back" in at least some bars of Colorado.  For instance,
a "rye and water back" or a "rum and a sweet soda back" is, in the first
instance, a drink of rye, with a glass of plain water (and a cube of ice) on
the side.  In the second instance, it's a drink of light rum with the sweet
soda which we have found to be much more popular here than in Ohio,
Pennsylvania and New York.  It's a slang term, this "back," and we aren't too
sure it's used border to border, but at least it is something new and
different for your notebook.
   A "money-coke," when called in at some bars, referes to a coke which is
being sold on its own--not a coke to be used as a mixer or as a rinse.
Again, this may be merely a localized expression, but it does have some
currency here.
_"KANSAS HIGHBALLS"_
   There are some "Kansas highballs" to be heard of.  They take the form of a
plain water drink, mixed with a shot of bourbon, gin, or scotch, as the case
may be.  A true Kansas highball would seem to be a duplicate of the Croton
highball which was on call in pre-Prohibition days in New York City.

22 November 1948, TAP & TAVERN, "The Barman's Corner by Patrick Murphy," pg.
9, col. 2--All across Nevada, in the far-spaced towns, that is, signs reading
"Gaming" are posted prominently on the exterior of practicially all bars.
The word should read "gambling," but there's a more subtle sound to "gaming"
and it is unanimous.  The word is probably prescribed by Nevada licensing
statute.

17 January 1949, TAP & TAVERN, "The Barman's Corner by Patrick Murphy," pg.
7, col. 3--"In the year 1918 he returned to Havana and got a job as bartender
at a cafe named 'Greasy Spoon.'"  (Story of Jose Abeal, or "Sloppy Joe."
That place promoted the Mary Pickford Cocktail, among others--ed.)

5 December 1949, TAP & TAVERN, "The Barman's Corner by Patrick Murphy," pg.
17, col. 3--And restaurant-wise, we found one, once upon a time, plastered on
the wall along with "Mary had a little lamb, what'll you have?" and other
oldies, which we always will treasure as a kind of bonded wry: "IF YOU'RE SO
SMART--WHY AIN'T YOU RICH?"

8 January 1960, TAP & TAVERN, "The Barman's Corner by James E. Hickey," pg.
9, col. 1--(1-8 suggested etymologies of "cocktail.")

22 February 1960, TAP & TAVERN, "The Barman's Corner by James E. Hickey," pg.
5, col. 1--(9-18 suggested etymologies of "cocktail.")

13 June 1960, TAP & TAVERN, "The Barman's Corner by James Hickey," pg. 4,
col. 1--RECIPE: Now firmly established in the Southwest is the Margarita
Cocktail, often Americanized to Margaret Cocktail.  No doubt it will
eventually go coast to coast.  Here's how.  (Recipe follows, but no
etymology--ed.)

20 June 1960, TAP & TAVERN, "The Barman's Corner by James Hickey," pg. 4,
col. 3--A fountain filled with Gimlets, yours for the dipping, featured a
recent "come with toga" Roman party on the same W. Coast recently.  (Toga
Party!  Toga!  Toga!--ed.)

11 July 1960, TAP & TAVERN, pg. 8, col. 1:
(...)
_Famed Restaurant_
_Launched "Pink Lady"_
   SERVICE to the customers is vital--and it takes many forms.
   At the famed Miller Brothers Restaurant, 119 West Fayette st., in
Baltimore...
   (Col. 3--ed.)
   Among Mrs. Miller's vivid recollections is an account of the appearance in
Baltimore of a stock company playing something entitled "The Pink Lady."  It
was in honor of that show of by-gone days that the bartender at Miller
Brothers Restaurant invented a drink given the same name which has long since
become a standard drink in every bartender's lexicon from coast-to-coast.

10 October 1960, TAP & TAVERN, pg. 5, col. 2:
_"Tell You What I'm Gonna Do--"_
_Sid Stone to Announce_
_Commercials for Ortlieb_
   (...)  Sid Stone will be remembered by the TV audience for his familiar
opening, "Tell you what I'm gonna do for you."  Stone was with Milton Berle
on the Texaco Show four consecutive years.

14 November 1960, TAP & TAVERN, "The Barman's Corner by James E. Hickey," pg.
9, col. 5--Dr. Bauer of the A.M.A. who conducts a syndicated newspaper
column, has this month warned teen-agers against "glue-sniffing" for kicks.
Seems the teen-agers buy plastic cement, park themselves in a car and sniff a
handkerchief impregnated with this substance.  Effects can send the
experimenter to mental hospital if habit gets chronic.  (OED 1963
"glue-sniffing"--ed.)

24 April 1961, TAP & TAVERN, "The Barman's Corner by James E. Hickey," pg.
16, col. 3--THE BLOODY MARY seems here to stay.  (...)  By the way, a
_Sangrita_ is simply a "Bloody Mary," substituting tequila for vodka.
"Tequila Sangrita" is the full name of the drink, and this translates into
English as "Bloody Tequila," the which is your recipe clue.  (No Bloody Mary
etymology is given--ed.)

3 July 1961, TAP & TAVERN, "The Barman's Corner by James E. Hickey," pg. 9,
col. 2--BLOODY MARIA is a Bloody Mary but with a light rum substituted for
vodka, say the Ronrico people, who are plugging this new twist with ads in
Life.  Punch line is like so: "Anything Bloody Mary can do, Maria can do
better."  Like vodka, this leaves me breathless.