L.A. Free Press (1965-1966)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Nov 5 01:39:12 UTC 2000

   I didn't get through all of 1966.  The NYPL microfilm room has no air
circulation, you know.
   THE POWER OF POSITIVE PESSIMISM by Howard Kandel was advertised in the L.
A. Free Press's "New Adult Humor Library."  This book had "Proverbs For Our
Times."  I'd like to see it, but not even the LOC has it.
   Here goes:

9 July 1965, LAFP, pg. 6, col. 2--It is manifested by precisely that apathy
and underlying terror that characterized us during what were so inaccurately
termed "the flaccid fifties"--a willingness to be led, bred by the
interaction of authoritarian education with a more and more inhuman
environment, and sustained by the mass media, consisting in part of the
increasing trivialisation of leisure and entertainment.

6 August 1965, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1---HOT DAMN, VIET NAM. (...)  Well, futz,
putz or nuts... (...)  If Lyndon has one constant and unchanging public image
of himself that he is interested in maintaining, it might be summed up in the
words: Hot Damn!  I'm the Man!  And the Nigras are not the only ones who know
what is meant by "The Man."

20 August 1965, LAFP, pg. 4, col. 1---CHORUS:  Let's Get Whitey!...We are
going to put the fear of the Negro into these white people because they do
not have the fear of God...Burn, Baby, Burn.

3 September 1965, LAFP, pg. 1 headline--_Beatlemania!  Screeeaaam!_  (Rock &
roll at the Hollywood Bowl--ed.)

3 September 1965, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--The rush on the marriage clerks to
beat the draft deadline proved that there are millions in America who, in act
if not in word, subscribe to the slogan: MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR.

3 September 1965,  LAFP, pg. 4, col. 3 cartoon--"_I knew it!_  You've been
watching so much t.v. lately you no longer know which way is up!"

10 September 1965, LAFP, pg. 6, col. 3--The set, the Greenwich Village
apartment of Nora, a "square-eyed 'highball'" ("What's that?" "Baby, if you
knew what it was, you wouldn't be a highball.")....

17 September 1965, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--BETTER DEAD THAN RED: Those who say
better dead than red are probably right.  They WOULD be better dead than
red--and that may be our last best hope for survival.

17 September 1965, LAFP, pg. 6, col. 4--...VSP's--Very Special People....
(Also in this column is "Watts New, Pussycat?"--ed.)

24 September 1965, LAFP, pg. 1, col. 3--Psychedelic Art.

1 October 1965, LAFP, pg. 3, col. 3--Excuse me if I use this word, but we
have long since stopped calling them police officers.  We call them the
"gestapo."

8 October 1965, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--THIS IS THE WAY IT IS, MAN.

8 October 1965, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--...turned eighteen and is eligible to
get himself murdered or maimed for Freedom, Justice, Truth, and Mom's apple
pie.

8 October 1965, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--"LICENSED TO KILL": That is how LeRoi
Jones describes the Great American Hero, the Private Eye, the International
Spy Good Guy, God's Own G.I. carrying the Gospel of God and Country into all
parts of the world on the business end of a bayonet.

15 October 1965, LAFP, pg. 4, col. 2--"Get that white M. F." (...) "Licensed
to Kill."  An excellent summary and description of our time.  "Culturally
depraved." (A phrase seen in a copy of NEWSWEEK.)

15 October 1965, LAFP, pg. 6, col. 1--...the growers "are scared like
rabbits."  (Rabbits?--ed.)

22 October 1965, LAFP, pg. 1, col. 4--"TEACH-OUT."

22 October 1965, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--...the Judeo-Christian God, also known
among the folksy as The Man Upstairs....

22 October 1965, LAFP, pg. 6, col. 4--"Generation X"--For Big Tall Men Only!
(Is this  an ad?--ed.)

3 December 1965, LAFP, pg. 8, col. 1-5 ad for BUMPERSTICKERS!--START THE DAY
WITH A SMILE and get it over with (...) If you can read this, you're too
close.
10 December 1965, LAFP, pg. 3, col. 1--First City.  (New York--ed.)

21 January 1966, LAFP, pg. 3, col. 1--HUBERT HUMPHREY IS NOT A SELL-OUT
ARTIST: He never had anything to sell.

28 January 1966, LAFP, pg. 8, col. 1--LIFE LONG LEARNING.  (Free University
of California ad--ed.)

18 February 1966, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--LAST STAND OF AMERICAN GOTHIC: Not
since Amos 'n Andy went off the air has it been so hard for the red-blooded,
110% American to feel White Supreme and Top Banana in the land of the free
and the home of the Brave.

25 February 1966, LAFP, pg. 9, col. 2--(Review of IT'S FUN TO BE A POLLACK
and the origin of Polish jokes--ed.)

4 March 1966, LAFP, pg. 2, col. 1--THE NEW MISTER CLEAN:  FIrst it was FDR,
then it was Henry Wallace, then Stevenson, then JFK, then Hubert Humphrey,
and now it's beginning all over again with Bobby Kennedy.

4 March 1966, LAFP, pg. 6, col. 2--...the nuclear disarmament SANE symbol
roughly painted in white on a blue bakground were all simple and effective.
("Peace" symbol--ed.)