Safire (& assistant) Watch

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Nov 11 21:30:30 UTC 2000

    Elizabeth Phillips's name is not in the list of ADS members in the latest
NADS.  She is William Safire's assistant.
    Safire's assistants do not _have_ to join the ADS.  However, I've made it
a standing request (for quite a while now) that they _do_ join.  If they
can't afford it, I've offered to pay their ADS membership.  I've sent
certified letters and self-addressed stamped envelopes about this.
   The errors in Safire's 9-17-00 column have not been corrected.  It was a
column that included my name.
   I have written twice to magazine at nytimes.com.  I have written to
letters at nytimes.com.  I have written twice to the e-mail address for New York
Times corrections.  I have written to feedback at nytimes.com.  I have written
to a New York Times spokeperson on Abuzz.com.  And, again, I have written
directly to William Safire's assistant.
   There has been no reply.
   This is an insult not only to me, but to this entire organization.