Apache Dance

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Mon Nov 13 18:00:06 UTC 2000

    OED seems to have "Apache dance" from about 1914.
    This is for Grant Barrett; the other posting was for Yalies.  I try to
spread the stuff around.

PARIS A LA CARTE
by Julian Street
New York: John Lane Company
1914
Copyright 1911 by the Ridgway Company
Copyright 1912 by John Lane Company
Third edition--revised

Drawing opposite page 24:
   ASIDE FROM THE FACT THAT A PAIR OF PROFESSIONALS GIVE THE "APACHE" DANCE
AMONG THE TABLES, THERE IS NO REASON FOR SITTING THERE.

Pg. 68--To these places come the "_Apaches_" (a word which the French have
borrowed from among our Indian names, to designate a bloodthirsty villain),
the "_voyous_," or toughs, who hang about the markets, and the "_maqueraux_,"
with their women.