Fwd: Query to ADS

Mon Nov 13 23:19:00 UTC 2000

A friend of mine is teaching a course for elem.-jr. hi English/Language
Arts teachers this Winter on "The Development of American
English."  Wolfram & Schilling-Estes is too long and technical for this
course.  Does anyone have a good recommendation for a course that meets
twice a week for 10 weeks (and will be taught largely by microwave?!).  In
Linguistics we teach a general intro. to language using Fromkin and Rodman,
plus a course on dialects using W & S-E, but this is a more specialized
course offered by the English Dept.  So, a bit of historical development,
plus current issues and varieties, would be primary.
Here's her note: