Wall Street jargon

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 16 03:58:58 UTC 2000

     I did a lot of these over two years ago.
     From yesterday's WALL STREET JOURNAL, 14 November 2000, pg. C1, col. 2:

It's a dead-cat bounce...
The market is in a narrow trading range...
Bonds retreated on bearish comments from the Fed...
We're near-term cautious but long-term optimistic...
The stock market was own on technical factors...
The market fell on heavy selling by mutual funds...
The trend is your friend: Stocks have been going up...
Trees don't grow to the sky: Stocks stopped going up...
The market is looking a little extended...
Don't miss this compelling opportunity...
The market climbs a wall of worry...
It isn't a loss until you sell it...
Focus on total return...
It's cheap on a relative basis...
(Col. 3--ed.)
It's fairly valued...
We've got some great values in our portfolio...
We buy growth at a reasonable price...
We're long-term investors...
We think the stock is a potential buyout candidate...
The stock's oversold...
Nobody ever went broke taking profits...
The company's quarterly earnings beat expectations...
We've researched this company thoroughyl...
We're fundamental investors...
We're technical investors...
We buy companies, not pieces of paper...
Our strength is evaluating corporate management...
The company has solid fundamentals...
It's a New Economy stock: Don't even bother asking about earnings.
We rate the stock a strong buy...
We consider the stock attractive long-term...
We rate the stock a hold...
We rate it a sell...