new verb (to me) in Times Magazine

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Nov 18 13:24:37 UTC 2000

No, not in Safire's column, but in the next piece, "The New
Economy/Dot Dot Dot?", on the fate of "the victims of the recent
dot-com layoffs".  Says interviewee Trina Williams, who was downsized
out of her job at RealNames Corp. last June,

"For the last couple of months I've been consulting at my favorite
nonprofit, Community Impact, in Palo Alto.  As one person here said,
I'm DOT-ORG-ING for a while instead of dot-com-ing.  It provides the
meaning many of us are looking for in our work."

(NYT Magazine, 11.19.00, p. 44, emphasis added)

larry

[If enough people do it, it could turn into a dot-orgy, if they don't
mind indulging in a little harmless velar softening along the way.]