Random gobblets

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Nov 23 21:40:42 UTC 2000

    Happy Thanksgiving.  What's left of the family is here, there's turkey,
wine, I'm sharing financial statements with my sister, outlining my December
vacation, and, of course, there's a computer here.  Thanksgiving just
wouldn't be Thanksgiving without the Internet.
   Some stuff I haven't posted:

AUTHOR!  AUTHOR!--The first cite I have is THE WRITER, January 1934, pg. 1,
"Author!  Author!" by Joseph Tuckerman Day.

CHICKEN KIEV--Another early Chicago citation is THE PALMER HOUSE COOK BOOK
(1940), by Ernest E. Amiet, John Willy, Inc. for the Hotel Monthly Press,
"Chicken a la Kiev," pg. 1028.

CABARET--From the RESTAURATEUR & AMERICAN HOTELIER, 25 January 1930,
"Churchill, Famous Restaurateur, Is Dead," pg. 19, col. 1:  "In his
restaurants was originated the cabaret, and Captain Churchill paid as high as
$3,000 a week to his entertainers.

WINDY CITY/CITY OF THE WINDS--From AT HOME IN ITALY (1884), by Mrs. E. D. R.
Bianciardi, Houghton, Mifflin & Co., pg. 122:  "It is called 'The City of the
Winds'..."  (Siena, Italy--ed.)