Past-Subjunctive WAS in counter-to-fact IF clauses

Bob Haas highbob at MINDSPRING.COM
Tue Nov 28 20:13:35 UTC 2000

Good point, Ron, but (and I'm really just trying to figure out what would be
best here; it's not just my normal contentiousness) why does the actuality
of the roof being peeled off take precedent over the metaphoric fancy of the
sardine can analogy?  That's what would lead me to use WERE instead of WAS.
And wouldn't the WERE take its cue from the IF that almost immediately
precedes it?  Doesn't that determine the subjunctive mood of the verb to
follow?

bob