jargon scout

Joseph McCollum prez234 at JUNO.COM
Fri Oct 13 06:09:34 UTC 2000

On Fri, 8 Oct 1999 17:43:52 -0700 Bob Fitzke <fitzke at VOYAGER.NET> writes:
>Peach family or family of peaches. Any difference?
>
>Actually saying almonds are in the rose family sounds more unlikely
>doesn't it?

Yes -- but the almond and peach are sister species as it were, while
almond and rose are 1st cousins.

So far as I know, there is no taxonomic difference between "peach family"
and "family of peaches," but as I have pointed out, there is no taxonomic
peach family -- it's the rose family.  Hmm... In the dog Latin of
taxonomy, the group comes first then the name, as "Family Rosaceae," but
in English, it's the "rose family."