Icre de crap

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Thu Oct 5 08:49:17 UTC 2000

   Greetings from Sibiu.  I head back to Bucharest in a few minutes, and then take a midnight train to Sofia.  I got to go, I got to go.

ICRE DE CRAP

   A menu item here at Sibiu in the restaurant of my Imparatul Romanilor Hotel is "Icre de crap."
   I have often been served crap, but I've never before seen it on the menu.
   It is one of the specialties of the place.  I was all set to try it.  "Yes, this is crap."
   Then I was told that the menu item was CARP.
   Never mind.
   Other tiems on the menu:

Sibiu pork fillet
"Tarana" caviar
Brains a la grecque
Romanian stuffed cabbage
Grilled "Mititei"--spicy minced meat rolls
Grilled Cabanossi sausages
Special cake "Indiana"
Clujana cucumber salad
Star sturgeon meunicre
Tournedos "Carpati"
Tournedos a la Cibin

NEW YORK GRAPHIC, 1927

   About eight years ago, I noticed that the New York Public Library didn't have the NEW YORK GRAPHIC of 1927, and that no one else did, either.
   Walter Winchell's columns are in it.  He probably talked about both "the Big Apple" and the "Bloody Mary" in November 1927.
   I gave the New York Newspaper Project--based in Albany at the state library--one more try.  No luck.
   Years ago, I wrote to Neal Gabler, who was doing a WInchell bio.  He never wrote back.  His bibliography didn't have any extra info.
    The New York Graphic was published by Bernarr McFadden.  There have been several bios of him, but those bibliographies weren't helpful, either.
    I believe the New York Graphic is out there, somewhere.
    An ADS member who writes a weekly language column for a New York City newspaper could ask his readers for help.  This would cost him nothing, and could be extremely helpful to New York City history.
    I must still believe in miracles.  If a miracle does happen, I'll even eat carp.