Dead Donkey Ears

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Oct 5 05:02:38 UTC 2000

At 12:30 PM -0400 10/5/00, Gregory {Greg} Downing wrote:
>At 12:22 PM 10/5/2000 EDT, Barry Popik wrote:
>>    In the WALL STRET JOURNAL EUROPE, 4 October 2000, pg. 1, col. 1, a Russian
>>declares that his creditors deserve "dead donkey ears."  That is, nothing.
>>

>There's kind of a silly curse that pops up occasionally on bathroom walls in
>the U.S., to the effect that "x [person, thing] sucks dead donkey dicks." I
>don't know what the exact logic of the phrase is, beyond the obvious sonic
>effects and the not exactly subtle attempt to degrade, but perhaps there is
>some kind of connection with the phrase you cite -- if not a genetic
>connection then maybe just a conceptual overlap, i.e., the "dead donkey"
>image as degrading.

Then there are those donkey years (or donkey's years) that something
hasn't happened in.  Presumably this measure of time (why it's
donkey's rather than, say, the more numerous-per-capita tortoise's
years) was prompted by the implicit pun.   Perhaps we could mix and
match--"Those creditors will get money from me in dead donkey's
years".

larry