Most frequently used words

Avi Arditti aardit at VOA.GOV
Mon Oct 9 20:36:40 UTC 2000

What a nice surprise to see Special English come up as a topic. It's
been on the air 41 years. Listeners overseas keep telling us they can't
get enough of it. (And thanks for plugging my Web site, Grant!)

For me, working in Special English has been an entry to the expanding
world of controlled and plain language. (See Pat O'Conner's 8/22/99
"plainspeak" column in the NYT Magazine, my column at
www.plainlanguage.gov/hotstuff/briefs.htm, or the main page at
www.plainlanguage.gov.)

In fact, just recently I've approached two universities in Washington,
D.C., to propose establishing a Center for Plain Language. Great idea,
they both said, but unfortunately they don't have any faculty currently
doing research in this field. Roger Shuy is retired.

Any other names come to mind?

-- Avi Arditti