Barrow ditch.

Mark Odegard markodegard at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Oct 10 05:39:30 UTC 2000

> _barrow pit_ in W3 is equated with _borrow ditch_ which is
described as
> "a ditch dug along a roadway to furnish fill and provide
drainage."

> Regards,
> David
>
> David K. Barnhart

Interesting. Barrow ditch, borrow ditch. After sending my last
post, I did a search on "barrow ditch" and got quite a few
hits. These terms are entirely new to me.

The divided spelling suggests that most users have no clear
idea of word's origin. Calling it a borrow ditch because you
'borrow' earth from it sounds like a folk etymology.

My original speculation that a roadbed built up higher than
its surrounding terrain was once called a barrow might still
be valid. I had also speculated to myself that it might be an
old military-engineer's term.

Mark Odegard.