analytical versus inflected languages

Grant Barrett gbarrett at MONICKELS.COM
Tue Oct 10 06:31:15 UTC 2000

[I think Bill meant to send this to the whole list and not just
me, and since it bounced back from his mailbox, here you go.]

>Hey, that's my trick. My brick.

Or, to quote William Faulkner's grandfather, "My damn bank, my
damn brick!"
He, the bank owner, after getting the Ripley, MS, city council
to pass an
ordnance against automobiles, was the first in town to own one.
He liked to
have his driver take him around town for an evening drive.
Once, he decided
to throw a brick through the bank's window.  When questioned by
the police,
the above was his response.  [Courtesy of Jimmy Faulkner,
William's nehew.]

Now for something completely different.  Why do some native
speakers of
Spanish, when speaking English, substitute the "y" sound for the
"j" sound
(e.g. "Ayax" for "Ajax")?