Bulgarian Phrases

Michal Lisecki mlisecki at POLBOX.COM
Tue Oct 10 12:17:13 UTC 2000

On a memorable day of 00-10-10 at 00:04 you wrote an email "ADS-L
Digest - 8 Oct 2000 to 9 Oct 2000 (#2000-284)" :

>Date:    Mon, 9 Oct 2000 21:43:25 -0400
>From:    "Steve K." <stevek at SHORE.NET>
>Subject: Re: Bulgarian Phrases
>
>On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, Laurence Horn wrote:
>
>> At 2:56 PM -0400 10/9/00, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>> >
>> >KURVA--A slang word for prostitute that seems to be widely used
in
>> >all the Eastern European countries.
>> >
>> whence the Yiddish KURVEH with the same meaning, evidently.
Anyone
>> know the etymology?
>
>In Polish, it's also slang for the vulva, falling on the continuum
of
>offensiveness somewhere between pussy and (the American sense
>of) cunt. In my slacker days between ungrad and grad school in the
early
>90s, I was working in the marble business in Chicago, which is run
mostly
>by Polish immigrants, and in the office of my boss he had
>5 big marble letters that spelled out kurva (actually, kurwa,
>I think). Anyhow, one day a client came in, and she was Polish and
she got
>very irate, and I believe took her business elsewhere.

And she did have the right to feel offended as KURWA is indeed a
slang word refering to a prostitute or a plain swearword, very strong
though. It does not, however, refer to the female genitals or even
get close to it! The slang word which refers to both to a woman
and/or vulva is CIPA.

tafn [lisu] <magura at giga.pl>