missing word: mullet -- more informant work

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Tue Oct 10 12:38:43 UTC 2000

I asked eight persons at work -- 4 men, 4 women, ages about 25-60: "What do
you call a haircut like Billy Ray Cyrus's, short on top and long in the back?"

Answer: (8/8) "I never heard of a name for it."

I then asked "Have you ever heard the word 'mullet' for a hairdo? How about
'beaver paddle'? 'Mudflap'?"

Answers: (1/8) "I heard 'mullet' on a radio program recently." (1/8) "I've
heard 'beaver paddle'." (6/8) "Never heard any of them."

Apparently the word 'mullet' for a hairdo is not fully current here in
Pittsburgh.

One informant was wearing a mullet.

-- Doug Wilson