Bulgarian superlatives

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Wed Oct 11 13:38:45 UTC 2000

   I've got one of those infamous singing and dancing extravaganzas tonight.
   My Bulgarian guide told me that under the communist regime, they joked about these Bulgarian superlatives:

"We produce the biggest microchip."
"We have the fastest electronic clock."
"Many economies are suffering from economic paralysis, but Bulgaria has the most progressive paralysis."

MEKITZA--this is dough, covered with powdered sugar.  The Italians have something exactly like it (zeppole).  Not in the OED?

SHOPSKA SALAD--This is from a tourist publication on Bulgaria:

  _National Cuisine and Drinks_
   The unique Bulgarian yoghurt, white sheep's cheese, Shopska salad and exotic food baked in earthenware dishes are famous far and wide.
   ...famous Pliska brandy...

   OED doesn't have Shopska salad!  How is this?  Shopska salad was available in the Czech Republic.  It's also called Balkan salad. It differs from Greek salad in that it does NOT have olives.