Whore/Ho/Slut

Douglas G. Wilson douglas at NB.NET
Wed Oct 11 14:48:22 UTC 2000

I think 'slut' covers 'whore' (= 'prostitute') and 'promiscuous woman' and
also something like '[female] slob' (dirty or careless woman).

I'm not sure that the equivalence of 'ho' with 'whore' is legitimate. I
agree that 'ho' formally or etymologically = 'whore' ... but in the
dialect(s) from which the transcription 'ho' is generally used the word has
been generalized to mean essentially 'woman', I think.

Counterexamples? Is 'ho' conventionally written to mean strictly
'prostitute', in a context where it would NOT be used as a conventional
term for 'woman'?

'Bitch' has been generalized in the same way in the same dialect(s), I think.

-- Doug Wilson