Gray/Grey

James E. Clapp jeclapp at WANS.NET
Mon Oct 16 19:02:56 UTC 2000

James Smith wrote:

> How does the American "gray" vs. British "grey" play
> out in proper names?  The Salt Lake telephone
> directory shows two columns of "Gray" but only about
> ten "Grey". Is this relationship reversed in Britain?

I don't know, but when delving into sixteenth century English
history to research my recent column on the history and
construction of the phrase "till death us do part"
( http://www.randomhouse.com/wotd/index.pperl?date=20001013 )
I was reminded that the only quasi-royal personage of either
name that England has had was Lady Jane Grey.

Browsing titles in the Encyclopaedia Britannica, I see a bunch
of English Greys--including a whole string of earls--and a
bunch of American Grays.  But America does have Zane Grey, and
England does have a few Grays, including Walter de Gray ("also
spelled Grey") who was Chancellor of England under King John
in 1205.

James E. Clapp