theatre

Robert Kelly kelly at BARD.EDU
Tue Oct 17 15:08:12 UTC 2000

years ago it was Rockville Center;  I grew up nearby, and it was always
spelled in the American fashion, even after it became a diocese of the RC
church, which has entitled many a place to upscale its name...

of course it was pronounced, as it mostly still is, as homophone of the
carminative pod 'senna' with usually not even a trace of glottalization to
mark the demise of intervocalic T in the presence of nasalization

so however they spell it, it will fail to achieve Brit status.

RK