Southern 2nd-person plural double genitive

Tue Oct 17 16:19:28 UTC 2000

What I suspect happened is that the transcribers, unfamiliar with
"your-all's," assumed they had heard "you-all's" (perceiving the word in
terms of the only form familiar throughout the country).  In fact, I had
not heard the form at all until very recently, when a student who had lived
for a time in Alabama attested it; she claims to have heard it in SE Ohio
too, but I haven't confirmed this.  I mentioned the Lehrer quote to my TAs
a few days ago and got the usual horrified gasps--after which I gave them a
lesson on the Southern genitive, of course.  (BTW, I fell asleep for a
while too, and apparently missed the only substantive part of the "debate,"
on health care in Texas.)