Safire

Fred Shapiro fred.shapiro at YALE.EDU
Wed Oct 18 11:44:00 UTC 2000

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Lynne Murphy wrote:

> a bad thing to be.  (I'm also no one to Jesse Jackson and the NAACP,
> even though I've published about his "coinage" of 'African American'
> a bit.)  It seems far more important to be someone to the dictionary

Have you traced the origins of "African American" at all?  If so, I would
be interested in seeing your findings, as I have done research on this
myself.

Fred Shapiro

Associate Librarian for Public Services     YALE DICTIONARY OF QUOTATIONS
  and Lecturer in Legal Research            Yale University Press,