American Speech

Thomas Paikeday t.paikeday at SYMPATICO.CA
Thu Oct 19 13:39:39 UTC 2000

Dear Allan,

        I hope the ADS Executive Secretary is the appropriate person to address
in this quandary I am in.

        I was jolted yesterday by a subscription renewal notice from American
Speech asking for US$47.45 (which, besides $35 for AS, tacks on $10 for
"handling" and $2.45 as "tax."). I immediately looked up the front-page
statement of dues in NADS which says the ADS annual membership outside
the US is $40. I don't mind shelling out another $7.45 to good old ADS
which I have been "handling" without fees (!) for over 25 years. (MLA
charges me nothing for identical services - you know how much heavier
the PMLA volumes are for handling purposes). But it's the principle of
the thing and the fuzzy logic that seems to hurt. (It also hurts the
finances of someone living below the poverty line).

        Questions: (1) If AS alone costs $47.45, how much more for NADS and
PADS? Do I get another bill for these?

        (2) The notice says "Your membership in the AMERICAN DIALECT SOCIETY
will soon expire!" Sounds like a threat or invitation to pay unspecified
membership dues.

        (3) If the new charges have been authorized by the authorities, how
come they were not announced in NADS? Or did I miss something?

        (4) What is this $2.45 tax? Last year I was billed for the Canadian
Goods & Services Tax which is normally collected for goods and services
sold in Canada. Revenue Canada told me those collecting GST in the U.S.
should have a GST number issued by the Govt. of Canada. I don't recall
if such a number was shown on the invoice, but I declined the offer and
my membership mercifully didn't expire.

        So much bother for what may be a piffling sum to most people. But I
think the questions are very relevant. Your own dues notices used to be
so clear, convincing, and persuasive. So I guess some clarification is
in order. Many thanks in anticipation.

        Regards.
        TOM.