Words for grandparents: was: Pittsburgh Dialect

Thu Oct 19 17:14:25 UTC 2000

Yes, that is the source, I think; many "core" Appalachian forms spread
outward through our areas.  But even people who have "moved upward" out of
the rural and lower SEC groups may keep the forms, since they're emotive
and familial terms that are fondly passed on.  Public citation of them may
vary with the "audience," of course.