Salad Bar; Ski Lift; Location x 3

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Fri Oct 20 03:29:41 UTC 2000

   I've been going through the WESTERN HOTEL REPORTER, or the WESTERN HOTEL
AND RESTAURANT REPORTER.  I'm looking for western food & drink, such as
"Caesar salad" and "screwdriver."

SALAD BAR

   OED has 1976, from AMERICAN SPEECH.
   From the WESTERN HOTEL REPORTER, August 1939, pg. 26, col. 1:

_Morrison Hotel Has New Type of Salad Bar_
   A salad bar has been introduced in the Boston Oyster House of the Morrison
Hotel in Chicago that consists of a refrigerated table on which are placed 30
glass bowls, in ice, containing every conceivable type of greens such as
lettuce, endive, broccoli, etc., as well as a variety of cooked and fresh
vegetables in season which can be used to make up combination salads.  Also
on the bar are bowls of Julienne chicken, ham, fresh crab flakes, beef,
anchovies, tuna fish and shrimps which are used to garnish the salads.  Eight
varieties of dressing are used--Thousand Island, French, SPecial, V. O. H.,
Vinaigrette, Mineral Oil, Roquefort, Mayonnaise, and Lorenzo.

(A photo is shown.--ed.)

SKI LIFT

   OED has 1940 for "chair lift."
   From the WESTERN HOTEL REPORTER, January 1937, pg. 33, col. 2:

_HOTEL GIVES SKIERS "LIFT"_
   The owners of the Soda Springs Hotel on the Auburn road to Reno are
gladdening the hearts of skiers by installing a very-up-to-date ski pullback,
which provides a lift to the top of the slide, reports the Sacramento office
of the National Automobile Club.  These pullbacks are very popular since they
give the sportsman a chance to get all rested and ready for the exhilarating
dash down the slope again.

LOCATION, LOCATION, LOCATION (continued)

   Several Dow Jones citations connect the hotel king Conrad Hilton with
"location, location, location."  I checked my new Titelman, but his book
still doesn't have this phrase.
   It's not in the autobiography BE MY GUEST, nor in any Conrad Hilton
biography.  I just can't locate it.