Words for grandparents

Natalie Maynor maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU
Fri Oct 20 12:45:14 UTC 2000

I heard Ellen Johnson give a paper at a meeting (SECOL?SAMLA?ADS?)
several years ago on family terms in the South.  I think it may be
published somewhere.  I'm pretty sure it mentioned Mamaw and Papaw,
although I'm not positive.  I've heard those names in Mississippi
occasionally, along with lots of others, including Big Mama and
Big Daddy.  I've also heard a good many names for grandparents that
are probably unique to the particular person -- e.g., my grandmother
was called "Bussie" by the whole family after my brother started
calling her that when he was a toddler.  Presumably "Bussie" [bUsi]
came out when he was trying to say "Flossie," having heard her
husband call her that.  (Her name was Florence.)
   --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)