The Great (American?) Generation Shift

Grant Barrett gbarrett at MONICKELS.COM
Fri Oct 20 14:23:13 UTC 2000

On vendredi 20 octobre 2000 14:24, Lynne Murphy
<lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK> wrote:

>(I have to say that the intuition that 'Nana' sounds younger
doesn't
>hold for me.  It makes me think of someone small and wrinkly
who no
>longer has any teeth and has to gum overripe bananas.  But I'll
>accept that I'm probably alone in having this connotation...)

Nobody's mentioned it that I read, but "nana" is French slang
for a chick, a babe, a honey, a hottie, etc.

Of course, to me a Nana will always be a white-haired,
vitamin-munching tired insomniac who drove her Lincoln like a packet ship,
ironed her grandkids' underpants, stocked up on thirty years of
toilet paper at a time and had canned goods from 1963 in her
basement when she passed on in 1985.