Tween & Centimillionaires & more

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat Oct 21 06:54:36 UTC 2000

At 11:50 PM -0400 10/20/00, Bapopik at AOL.COM wrote:
>TWEEN
>
>    From the WALL STREET JOURNAL, 20 October 2000, pg. W17, col. 4:
>
>    _The Tween Menace_
>_Young girls, "sophisticated" tastes.  Try shopping with your daughter now._
>By Amy Finnerty
>    "Pleather," a sort of lustrous faux leather, is the hot fabric this season
>for "tweens," those not-yet-teenage girls who dress and vamp like spendthrift
>18-year-olds.

I don't know from pleather, but "tweens" in this sense has been
around for a decade or so.  We could probably find the appropriate
first cite in RHHDAS if they were up to T.  Fred?  Jesse?

>    _MINOR MEMOS:_  The Nader campaign markets a T-shirt that reads, "Bush and
>Gore make me wanna ralph." ...

Catchy, although "Al and W. make me wanna ralph" would be the real winner.

>PoliticalShop.com says its hottest item is a
>Gore photo button showing "The Kiss" with the words, "One for the Tipper."
>... The latest Bushism: In discussing tax cuts, Bush says, "Families is where
>our nation takes hope, where wings take dream."

What memorable phrases we can look forward to being turned.  Of
course the last comment may just be an indication that W feels free
to scramble into OVS word order (we already know that verb agreement
is no clear diagnostic).

larry