scholarly politics was: Re: Bushspeak

Frank Abate abatefr at EARTHLINK.NET
Sun Oct 22 00:18:42 UTC 2000

Lynne, et al. in ADS,

I respectfully disagree.  I do not mind individuals making their opinions
(political or otherwise) known in the appropriate forum.  Of course, an
individual can say almost whatever he or she wishes, in any forum, according
to US principles.  But that is not what I am referring to.

On the ADS list, which is intended (I thought) for discussions of language
and how it is used, I find input of personal political opinions clearly
off-topic, and a distraction from the purpose of the list.

When it comes to a scholarly organization, however, I do strongly believe
that political opinions officially promulgated are simply out of line.  If I
pay dues to a group, I want those dues to forward the scholarly purposes of
the organization, not to advance what some officer(s) of the organization
may feel should be the political direction of the group.

Scholarly organizations should deal with scholarship, not politics.  Hence
my objection to MLA activities, which, when I was a member, I strongly
opposed.  I wrote to the MLA about this, in fact, because I was so offended.

Frank Abate