Methods in Language Variation

Salikoko Mufwene mufw at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Thu Oct 26 22:06:24 UTC 2000

At 12:54 PM 10/26/2000 -0500, Cindy Bernstein wrote:
>> I'd appreciate comments from list members on a text for an introductory
>> graduate methods course I'll be teaching this spring.  I'd like to
>> involve something of both qualitative and quantitative methods.  Does
>> anyone have experience with a text that might help?  (Vaux and Coper,
>> Introduction to Linguistic Field Methods?  Johnstone, Qualitative
>> Methods in Sociolinguistics?)

For qualitative field research, there is very useful literature published by
sociologists. I have used the following:

Norman K. Denzin & Yvonna S. Lincoln, eds. 1994. Handbook of qualitative
research. Sage Publications. (Hardback)

_________. 1998. Collecting and interpreting qualitative materials. Sage
Publications. (Paperback)

Harry F. Wolcott. 1995. The art of field work. Sage Publications. (Paperback).

     Now I wish Sage Publications would send me a commission for advertising
their books. Nikolas Coupland and Adam Jaworski's SOCIOLINGUISTICS: A READER
contains a section of 5 chapters on "methods for studying language in
society."
The books I mentioned above make up for things that linguists tend to overlook
in (field) methods classes.

      I think Paul Newman (Indiana) and Martha Ratliff (Wayne State) were
editing a book of field methods two summers ago. Please contact them, and I'll
send them a bill for my commission ::)

Sali.

Salikoko S. Mufwene                        s-mufwene at uchicago.edu
University of Chicago                      773-702-8531; FAX 773-834-0924
Department of Linguistics
1010 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637
http://humanities.uchicago.edu/humanities/linguistics/faculty/mufwene.html