Economy Class Syndrome

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sun Oct 29 18:37:05 UTC 2000

ECONOMY CLASS SYNDROME

   From the Sunday NEW YORK TIMES, Week in Review, section 4, 29 October
2000, pg. 2 (Re-check--ed.), col. 1:

   But "economy class syndrome" is a real term given to what some medical
experts claim is a more serious consequence of long airplane trips: a
circulatory problem known as deep-vein thrombosis which is essentially a
blood clot.

   There are over 250 hits on Dow Jones.
   From the WASHINGTON POST, 9-6-1988, pg. 5:

   Researchers writing in the British journal _THe Lancet_ coined the name
"economy class syndrome" to describe passengers who develop serious blood
clots in veins of their lower legs from sitting during long flights.

MISC.

OED ON CBS (continued)--David Shulman said he'll be interviewed  by Bob Simon
for 60 MINUTES II.  (Shulman wanted Mike Wallace.)  The NEW YORK TIMES
published "a prospector in the stacks," then a Jewish-American paper did a
follow-up article (both were announced here on ADS-L) that Bob Simon had
read.  Shulman told Simon about me, but the story will be all about Shulman.

MOSCOW MULE (continued)--I re-checked John Mariani's ENCYCLOPEDIA OF AMERICAN
FOOD & DRINK, and Mariani swears that "Moscow Mule" was invented about three
years after the cite that I've found!  No doubt that the Moscow Mule was
popularized by that big vodka company from Connecticut; a "Moscow Mule" mug
appears in the publication BEVERAGE MEDIA (which continued the BAR & GRILL
JOURNAL) in 1951.  But it's there in 1944!!

MEANWHILE, BACK AT THE RANCH (continued)--How could Mike have remembered the
Danny Kaye lyrics if he'd done all of that drinking?

ONE EXTRA HOUR--I have an extra hour of life today.  I feel like I should be
curing world hunger or something.