someone/somebody, etc.

Mon Oct 30 17:01:16 UTC 2000

At 09:20 PM 10/29/00 -0700, you wrote:
>Also not quite what was asked for but, Helena Raumolin-Brunberg and Leena
>Kahlas-Tarkka (1997) "Indefinite Pronouns with Singular Human Reference"
>trace the historical development of -body -man and -one compounds from OE to
>the 18th century.  According to them, Quirk et al. (1985) and Jespersen
>(1914) claim -body and -one compounds are identical in meaning although
>Bolinger (1976) "argues that there is a subtle difference in meaning between
>the series, ONE and its compounds being marked for closeness to the speaker
>and individualization, whereas BODY is unmarked in these senses."
>R-B and K-T suggest that there are no semantic differences, though
>syntactically there are, since only -one compounds can be used in partitives
>(anyone of the students / *anybody of the students).

This leads to an interesting spelling/spacing problem:  I would write "any
one of the students" for the partitive above, and stress the "one" in
speech.  Isn't this different from the usual one-word usage?  I'd also
distinguish between "any one of you" (again, pausing and stressing in
speech) and "anyone among you" (with the combined, no-pause word)--but I'm
not sure why.  Sometimes I agonize over whether to spell words in this
category as one word or two.  My dictionary lists "someday" as a compound,
though I would never use it as such; "some time/sometime" is another
problem example.  Guidelines, anyone?