BUCKEYE TAVERN (continued)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 31 04:24:14 UTC 2000

   This NYU computer just destroyed this lengthy message.  One more try.
   I've now gone through 1943-1948 of the BUCKEYE TAVERN.  The years
1939-1942 will be read tomorrow.

17 May 1945, BUCKEYE TAVERN, pg. 7, col. 1:
Soldier--"Sir, I'd like to change my name."
Judge Advocate--"What is your name?"
Soldier--"Joe Stinker, sir."
J. A.--"I don't blame you for wanting to change it.  What to?"
Soldier--"Charley Stinker.  I get sick and tired of GI's saying, 'Hello, Joe,
what do you know'?"

7 June 1945, BUCKEYE TAVERN, pg. 6, col. 3--(Strawberry Blond Cocktail recipe
is cited as new--ed.)

26 July 1945, BUCKEYE TAVERN, pg. 5, col. 1:
Sign in an Ohio tavern:
   "What you see,
   What you hear,
   When you leave,
   Leave it here."
(See my previous posting about football's Vince Lombardi, who had this in the
lockerroom--ed.)

11 October 1945, BUCKEYE TAVERN, pg. 11, col. 1:
DOGGIE STUFF:  "It's raining cats and dogs outside."
"Yes, I know.  I just stepped into a poodle."

6 December 1945, BUCKEYE TAVERN, pg. 2, cols. 3-4--("Wet clothes...Dry
Martini" cartoon joke is reprised after the death of Robert Benchley.  The
new ENCARTA QUOTATIONS lists it in one line under Alexander Woollcott,
stating "attrib."  Just pitiful!--ed.)

28 February 1946, BUCKEYE TAVERN, pg. 4, col. 2--Some of the newspapers of
the nation carried, on February 14, a short item announcing the death of
Philip Gross, Cincinnatian and inventor, some 45 years ago, of the Commodore
Cocktail.  (In 1899, after Commodore Perry--ed.)

28 February 1946, BUCKEYE TAVERN, pg. 5, col. 2:
   _...hubba_
   It's a popular song; it's a wolf call.  It's a crutch that radio comedians
lean on when they need a slaugh.  But that's not how started as far as I
know.  I first heard it like this--when the outfit went on a hike, until the
camp gate was passed, the formation was at Attention.  Once cleared of the
camp confines, came the order: "Route Step, March!"  And with a roar from the
troops came a hubbub:  "hubba, hubba, hubba."

14 March 1946, BUCKEYE TAVERN, pg. 31, col. 3(discussion of weekly cartoon):
   Beautiful blondes feature many a dialog ("so I says to her, how would you
like to slip out of a wet coat and into a Dry Martini?")...  This last quip,
by the way, we published June 3, 1943.  When humorist Robert Benchley passed
away a couple months ago, newspapers mentioned the fact that he was generally
credited with originating that particular bit of humor which we, in our
reading, had come upon in some vargant publication and anonymously adopted
for our own pages.
   _Most Famed?_
  Perhaps the most widely noted squib in the entire feature was a gag which
appeared during the height of the air blitz of World War II.  The cartoon
advised readers that "In case of an air raid, hide under the pinball machine.
 It hasn't been hit yet."

21 March 1946, BUCKEYE TAVERN, pg. 6, col. 4:
   _...hubba_
   Comes a letter from George Pfeiffer, Buckeye Tavern's Columbus
correspondent, with a tale.  Quote:
   "In regard to your story in a recent column (Feb, 28) as to the origin of
'hubba hubba', 'that ain't the way I heard it.'  'Hubba hubba' was the
aviation cadet war cry and a sort of special prayer.  On check ride days it
was a custom for cadet squadrons to salaam and give the 'hubba hubba' cry
before breaking formation on the flight line and reporting for instruction.
Supposed to put some sort of hex on the squadron commander and his 'Maytag'
or 'washing machine', the check ride plane."
   Unquote.  So that's another version of the 'hubba hubba' saga, and a new
one on me.  Now we have the infantry's and the air force's view of the
subject.  Navy, Marines, Coast Guard--you know something, too?

August 1947, BUCKEYE TAVERN, pg. 14, col. 3:
   There are varied versions of the White Lady Cocktail, but the Cointreau
people, who certainly have legitimate claim to the original recipe (and to
subsequent promotion) say it is made only with one-third each of Cointreau
and Gin, to which is added one-sixth each lemon juice and cream.

October 1947, BUCKEYE TAVERN, pg. 13, col. 1 (story about Harry Heye Tammen
of the DENVER POST)--It ran more crime stories and, just as the radio and the
movies do today, sought to balance this (and so alleged) with a boldface
post-script at the end of each story reading "_Crime Never Pays_."

January 1948, BUCKEYE TAVERN, magazine section article by Patrick Murphy, pg.
9, col. 2--...into Trinidad, Colo., which hails itself as "Where the West
Begins."  Chicago please note.

April 1948, BUCKEYE TAVERN, magazine section article by Patrick Murphy--WE
HAVE received the following letter from Pennsylvania, where the nation's
outstanding tavern weekly, TAP & TAVERN, carries this column.

   Only three (PA) libraries have TAP & TAVERN, the "nation's outstanding
tavern weekly."  The Free Library of Philadelphia has a long run of it, from
1935-1972.  I'll probably look into it this week.  I'm looking for "happy
hour" in 1960-1961.