Moscow Mule clarification

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Tue Oct 31 18:23:58 UTC 2000

MOSCOW MULE CLARIFICIATION

   BEVERAGE MEDIA, August 1951, pg. 11, has a full-page ad that shows (among
other things) the "Moscow Mule" mug.
   The paragraph I left out in BUCKEYE TAVERN, "Patrick Murphy's The Barman's
Corner," 11 May 1944, pg. 4, col. 2 is:

   (...)
   _Moscow Mule_
   1 oz. vodka, 10 oz. glass and chipped ice, a twist of lemon peel.
   Not very specific as to how-to-mix, is it?  Evidently sparkling water or
ginger ale is taboo--just the ounce of vodka chilled with ice and the tang of
a lemon peel.  An ounce of such a spirit, by the way, allowed to stand in a
glass of chipped ice too long, would soon be quite dilute and we doubt that
its potency would merit the "mule" title.  We haven't tasted it, though, so
perhaps our deduction is not entirely correct.

MISC.

OED ON CBS--The 60 MINUTES II story will be on the OED, not just on David
Shulman.  He had an interview on Monday (yesterday).  Will CBS get a shot of
the Sheidlower kid?

E-JIHAD/CYBERWAR--A followup story on the "cyberwar" is in today's New York
Post.

VOTE SWAPPING--Also called "vote trading" and "Nader trading."  The New York
Times got on the story today--a mere two days late.

TECHNOLOGY TAILORS--"Technology tailors shopper for fitting" is the headline
in the NEW YORK POST, 31 October 2000, pg. 54, cols. 1-2.  It's about the
"virtual dressing rooms" that I had previously posted.  There is also a
"virtual model."