"the WB"

Joseph McCollum prez234 at JUNO.COM
Sun Sep 24 02:05:58 UTC 2000

On Wed, 22 Sep 1999 18:20:39 -0400 Gregory {Greg} Downing
<gd2 at IS2.NYU.EDU> writes:
>At 05:52 PM 9/22/99 -0400, Mark_Mandel at DRAGONSYS.COM wrote:
>>>..."the WB". The article is a surprise to me; I don't recall seeing it
before, say, a >month ago, although that may just reflect my reading
habits.

>Probably your reading habits. None of us reads everything. For several
>years now I have seen the locution "the WB" in (e.g.) the TV sections of
>newspapers, and I've heard it in the "network"'s own promos. I'm not
>sure exactly when it began to be used, but I suspect the usage was
>generated by Warner Brothers itself rather than by some speaker who
thought the
>"the" would sound cool. But who knows. NEXIS/LEXISites?
>

>Greg Downing/NYU, at greg.downing at nyu.edu or gd2 at is2.nyu.edu

Yes, the term "The WB" was used since the first season of the WB TV
network --
their mascot, Michigan J. Frog, would sing "The WB" theme song -- often
with varied lyrics according to the next commercial --  I think it would
not have had the right cadence if it had been just plain old "WB."