"package store"

Natalie Maynor maynor at CS.MSSTATE.EDU
Fri Sep 1 18:25:48 UTC 2000

Larry Horn wrote:

> Have we established this?  I thought previous posters who grew up
> with "package store" all acknowledged that they ALSO were familiar
> with "liquor store", whether or not they thought of the two as
> interchangeable.

I think it was many years after I had heard/used "package store"
that I first heard anybody call it a "liquor store."  Although
both terms are common now, the latter hasn't always been.  I agree
that generation is probably a factor.  I started to mention that
in my first response on the subject.  I don't think I've ever heard
an elderly person say "liquor store."
   --Natalie Maynor (maynor at ra.msstate.edu)