"package store"

Jessie Emerson jessie at SIRSI.COM
Fri Sep 1 19:27:30 UTC 2000

I neglected to tell you that it is in Alabama (AL) that "package store" is
used in the sense of a place to buy beer/wine (sorry Lynne).

I did a short poll of office mates, many of them imports to North Alabama,
and got a wide variety of responses.  Many of them had never heard "package
store."  One we left out, and which is used in Alabama, is "beverage store."
It also has the connotation of a place to buy beer/wine, but not hard
liquor.  A Pennsylanian said they bought beer in Pittsburgh from the
"distributor" and everything else at liquor stores.

Jessie Emerson
---
Lynne Murphy wrote...

>(So far MA, MI, MO, MS have been claimed to be 'package store' territory.
I'm detecting a pattern here.  Any word from MD, ME, or MT?  And I think
both TN and TX have been claimed as well, plus CT.  New hypothesis:
if a state has an M or a T in its postal abbreviation, it uses 'package
store'.  Science!!)