"package store"

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Fri Sep 1 21:00:12 UTC 2000

Jessie Emerson said:

>I neglected to tell you that it is in Alabama (AL) that "package store" is
>used in the sense of a place to buy beer/wine (sorry Lynne).

But my hypothesis doesn't say that  ONLY M/T states have package
stores. I may yet decide to add other letters to my hypothesis.

As long as we're discussing the alphabet, I should thank (again)
those of you who wished me luck at the Scrabble tournament.  Your
luck worked.  I took first place in my division.  Now, before you get
too impressed, I should point out that I was playing in the lowest
division (F) because I didn't yet have a British rating (and US
ratings are on a different system).  So, I unfairly beat up on all
these nice little old ladies in F when I should have been (according
to my new rating) competing at D level.  (Actually, I should have
been playing in the division that allows words from the North
American dictionary, but that's another story.)   After denying the
prize to a native person, I have fears that my work permit may be
revoked, since I'm obviously a danger to the British people.

On the run again,
Lynne
--
Dr M Lynne Murphy