terms (not only) for CA

Dan Slosberg cruzatte at LEWISANDCLARK.ORG
Sat Sep 2 00:24:42 UTC 2000

>haven't heard it in awhile.  This is the first I've heard of the term being
>used to describe a part of California.

As a frequent listener to L.A.-area traffic reports, I hear the term
"Inland Empire" quite often. I've assumed that it takes in not only
Riverside and San Bernardino counties, but also eastern parts of Los
Angeles county.

"Inland Empire" reminds me of "The Valley." For Angelenos, this refers to
the San Fernando Valley, epicenter of valley girls and big earthquakes. But
leave the Golden State, or even the Southland, and it refers to other
valleys.

-Dan