Martabak (Indonesian Food)

Bapopik at AOL.COM Bapopik at AOL.COM
Sat Sep 2 00:40:53 UTC 2000

    "Martabak."  Not in OED?

SELECTED INDONESIAN RECIPES
by Mrs. De Wildt
Self-published, Paterson, NJ
1953
     No "Martabak."
Pg. 3:  Lumpiah Goreng (Javanese Egg Roll)
Pg. 4:  Nassi Goreng (Javanese Style Fried Rice)
Pg. 7:  Rijsttafel (Javanese Rice-Table)
Pg. 7:  Abon (Fried Corned Beef)
Pg. 7:  Babi Ketjap (Pork in Soy Sauce)
Pg. 8:  Sate (Kebab, Javanese Style)
Pg. 8:  Sambal(an) Goreng Udang (Fried Spiced Shrimp Sauce)
(NOTE:  "Udang," which is shrimp, should not be confused with "Urdang"--ed.)
Pg. 8:  Sambal(an) Goreng Telor (Fried Spiced Egg Sauce)
Pg. 9:  Sajur (Spiced Vegetable Sauce)
Pg. 9:  Pisang Goreng (Banana Fritter)

INDONESIAN COOKERY
by Lie Sek-Hiang
Crown Publishers, Inc. (NY)
1963
     No "Martabak."

ART OF INDONESIAN COOKING
THE ABC's
by Agnes de Keijzer Brackman
1970
     No "Martabak."

DISHES FROM INDONESIA
by Yohanni Johns
Nelson
1971
     No "Martabak."

THE COMPLETE BOOK OF INDONESIAN COOKING
by Antoinette DeWit & Anita Borghese
Bobbs-Merrill Company (Ind.)
1973
     No "Martabak."

THE COMMONSENSE INDONESIAN & MALAYSIAN COOKERY BOOK
by Ella-Mei Wong
Angus & Robertson Publishers
1978
     No "Martabak."

INDONESIAN COOKERY
by David Scott and Surya Winata
Rider
1984
     No "Martabak."

THE INDONESIAN KITCHEN
by Copeland Marks with Mintari Soeharjo
Atheneum (NY)
1984
     Pg. 211:
_Martabak_
_BEEF AND EGG ENVELOPE_
(SUMATRA)
     The _Martabak_ is not an egg roll but perhaps can be considered its
Indonesian rival.  Hearty and filling, the _Martabak_ can be integrated
easily into a Western cocktail party, a small Oriental lunch or a complicated
_rijsttafel_.  Furthermore, the stuffed envelopes freeze well, and I have
made and stored substantial quantities in my freezer for future use.  The
_Martabak_ should be thawed for one hour and reheated in a 400-degree oven
for ten minutes, or until crisp and sizzling.  Sweet soy sauce (page 237)
makes an admirable dip.

INDONESIAN FOOD AND COOKERY
by Sri Owen
Prospect Books
1986
     Pg. 242:
MARTABAK
_Savoury meat pancakes_
     This dish, I believe, originated in India.  In towns all over Java, it
is sold out of doors in open _warungs_ or stalls in the main square--the
_alun-alun_--and in street markets.  It is the sort of substantial snack that
everyone needs to sustain him during an (Pg. 243--ed.) evening's stroll
around town, and the warung that sells martabak is always crowded.  Another
attraction is to watch the vendor, usually a man, preparing the dough.  He
rolls it into a ball, slaps it on to a wooden table, and starts to pull it
very quickly and skilfully into the thinnest imaginable sheet--without
tearing it.  When the dough is ready, he spreads the meat and other filling
on to it and folds it over to make a kind of square pastry, 15 cm (6") or
more each side.  At one side of him is his frying-pan, a large square of iron
supported over glowing charcoal.  This iron is mirror-smooth from years of
use, and is kept well greased with olive oil.  The martabak vendor drops the
martabak on the iron square and lets it fry for a few minutes on each side,
turning it only once.  He works so fast that there are usually 4 or 5
martabak drying at once.  As each one is finished, he wraps it in a banana
leaf, then in a sheet of paper, before handing it to the customer. (...)

THE EXOTIC KITCHENS OF INDONESIA:
RECIPES FROM THE OUTER ISLANDS
by Copeland Marks
M. Evans and Company, Inc. (NY)
1989
     Pg. 28:
_Martabak_
BEEF-STUFFED PASTRY ENVELOPES (JAVA)
     In Java I was told that the _martabak_, a crispy square "egg roll," is
probably of Indian origin.  However, I never heard of it during my years of
residence in India.  It seems to me strictly Indonesian--a specialty of Java.
     _Martabak_ freeze well.  After the have been dried and cooled, they can
be put into plastic bags and frozen for future use.  To reheat, simply thaw
for 1 hour and reheat for 10 minutes in a 375 deg. F. oven.

INDONESIAN REGIONAL FOOD & COOKERY
by Sri Owen
Doubleday
1994
     Pg. 211:
_Martabak Kubang_
_Sweet stuffed pancakes from West Sumatra_
     At most martabak stalls, whether on the alun-alun in Yogyakarta, or on a
street corner in Padang, the savoury martabak vendor will also sell sweet
martabak; or, if he has only one skillet and is limited to one sort, a
colleague, friend, or relative next door is selling the other.  The recipe
below is based on notes I made when we ate this sweet martabak in Padang.
There, they call it Martabak Kubang, because that particular group of
martabak sellers is from a village of that name nearby.  If you are also
serving savoury martabak with a meat filling, this sweet one will be ample
for 4 to 6 people.
     There are several standard fillings for sweet martabak.  One of them is
a sort of coloured sugar, usually coated in chocolate and similar to what in
England are called "hundreds and thousands."  Indonesians use the Dutch name,
muisjes. (...)