NY NY vs NYC

David Bergdahl bergdahl at OAK.CATS.OHIOU.EDU
Tue Sep 5 18:04:12 UTC 2000

Greg Downing wrote--
I was simply assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that everyone reading the
post
would clearly understand from my email address among other things that I
was
writing from NYC and that when I wrote "NY and CT" I was referring to my

experience with speakers in and around the metro NYC area. Was that not
clear to everyone? If not, sorry!

-- This is a confusion NYers have trouble understanding, since we never
have trouble from context disambiguating the city from the state, but
others apparently do.  I, myself, refuse to use "New York City" for NY,
NY since there is no such place :-) ... but I wonder how old NYC is as a
term: I hear it more frequently now than I ever did (or I'm just getting
more crotchetty)