"hundreds and thousands" (was Martabak)

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Tue Sep 5 18:59:45 UTC 2000

Jessie E asked:
>What is being described here?  I'm not familiar with "hundreds and
thousands," but if it involves chocolate, I wanna know!

"hundreds and thousands" is in Britspeak (and related Englishes) what
"jimmies" are in Massachusetts (and possibly elsewhere) and what
"sprinkles" are where I grew up in NY.  They're those little
elongated (I think of them as virus-shaped) things that come in
chocolate or multi-colored 'flavors' that you can have on top of your
ice cream cone or cakes and cookies.

Lynne
--
Dr M Lynne Murphy