'punish' in slang/dialect

Lynne Murphy lynnem at COGS.SUSX.AC.UK
Thu Sep 7 15:22:50 UTC 2000

I used to have a slang thesaurus, but it seems not to have made it
through the last pre-moving book cull.  I'm needing as many slang or
dialectal (any non-standard--perhaps jargon) words for 'punish'
('discipline', 'penalize'...), and know there are some, but can't
find/think of them.  I specifically do NOT need particular kinds of
punishment (e.g., spanking), but rather different words/lexical
phrases for imposing some sort of penalty on bad behavior (perhaps in
order to prevent the bad behavior's happening again).  I'm expecting
that gangs and mafia might have some particular terms.

And if anyone can suggest a thesaurus or reverse dictionary that's
strong on slang, that would be a great help.

Thanks in advance,
Lynne
--
Dr M Lynne Murphy